Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Dateline NBC - Adoption Scammer

I wrote to Dateline NBC today with regards to a story they ran this evening on a woman who pretended to be (or thought she was) pregnant and scammed desperate parents who wanted to adopt her baby. I don't think I've ever written to a TV show, but sometimes I am just so enraged by the crap they pass off as journalism these days. So I did what any good citizen does -- I wrote a letter.

bridget mcgann
to dateline
More options 4:19 am (1 hour ago)
Dear Dateline,

I am writing with regards to the story about the adoption scammer I viewed on the August 28th episode of Dateline. I feel compelled to express my disappointment with the unprofessional manner in which Victoria Corderi interrogated Amy Cumbee and further encouraged Amy's victims to indulge in their anger towards her.

I am not implying that what Amy did was wrong and cruel, or that her victims haven't the right to be angry or even to confront Amy, but rather the fact that Corderi failed to practice thorough and unbiased journalism by not addressing what was very plainly a woman with serious emotional and possibly mental problems (such as clinical narcissism or pseudocyesis). It is irresponsible journalism in that it is an incomplete investigation, but also in that an exploration of the motives behind such behavior might have made for a more interesting story. But instead my family and I were made to watch in disgust as a very sick and misguided person was put on display for the entertainment of millions and all but stoned to death by a jeering public.

The bottom line is, all people, regardless of who they are or what they've done, should be treated with a certain level of respect simply because they are human beings. This woman, despite what her victims insisted, was very, VERY clearly upset and confused, and expressed genuine remorse for what she had done -- However insufficient it may have been to ease her victims pain, I saw very plainly that it was genuine. And to not see it is pure blindness.

This is not the journalism and integrity I expect from Dateline. Perhaps an investigative journalism 101 class is in order for Corderi. Or at least perhaps a corrective follow-up.

Bridget McGann
South Bend, IN

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope they put this woman away....she was married to my brother Eric. She had my parenst phone disconnected by pretending to be them, sent her self flowers from us, and even went as far as to say her father died and she needed money to go to Florida....she is CRAZY!!!!! and she will strike again.

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Victoria Corderi was the PERFECT journalist to interrogate that beast. She went for the jugular, which was very necessary in this case. I was especially impressed with her, and coincidentally was online at this time to write her a congratulatory email.

3:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh, empiopath.

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We all Make mistakes. Yes she did wrong, but she seems to be very mentally instable and needs helps. Plus where is her family? What kind of mom would allow her child to me seen on TV like that. She needs love and Jesus loves all... So should you people!!!!GOD bless you Amy and YOU are loved!

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please....almost 6 years later and she is stil doing this. Just 7 months ago she scammed myself and my parents stole from us and left us devestated. This woman is a complete sociopath she showed no remorse for the crimes she committed or the hurt and worse, she got away with it! Talk about her needing help and being kinder all you want but if she ever came into your life and devestated it as she did mine and do many others, see if you still feel the same way

4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home